A new 17-page report provides numbers and rates of suicide by Oregon veterans from 2008 to 2012. Some key points from the report:
- Suicide is the leading cause of death among veterans under 45 years of age.
- Between 2008 and 2012, veterans constituted 8.7 percent of Oregon’s population, but accounted for approximately 23 percent of suicide deaths.
- The rate of death due to suicide was higher in veterans than in non-veterans.
- The rate of suicide for male veterans was more than double the rate for female veterans.
- Nearly 97 percent of veteran suicides were males.
DOWNLOAD – “Suicide Among Oregon Veterans 2008-2012” (PDF, 345KB)
The map below is from Metric Mapping and does not appear in the report. Three tables from the report are reproduced below; see the report for more.