Odd chain of events leaves two men dead

Oregonian, May 15, 2008

A bizarre chain of events late Tuesday in a Northeast Portland neighborhood left two men dead and police scrambling to sort out a homicide, an officer-involved shooting and an arson.

By Wednesday afternoon, Portland police were still working out details and interviewing witnesses. But a spokesman confirmed that 27-year-old Jason Spoor was fatally shot in a confrontation with officers.

Police spokesman Sgt. Brian Schmautz said Spoor, who was carrying a gun, died from a single gunshot to the head after two officers discharged their weapons. An autopsy Wednesday afternoon by the Multnomah County medical examiner determined the cause of death after some initial questions about whether Spoor might have shot himself.

Police officers Timothy Bacon and Scott McCollister fired during the confrontation with Spoor. Bacon, 45, is a 14-year Portland police veteran assigned to Southeast Precinct. McCollister, 32, is a seven-year veteran assigned to East Precinct.

McCollister was also involved in the May 2003 fatal shooting of Kendra James, 21, as she tried to drive away from a traffic stop on North Skidmore Street. Former Police Chief Mark Kroeker suspended McCollister without pay for what he concluded were tactically unsound decisions in that incident. A state arbitrator later overturned the decision and ordered police to expunge the suspension from McCollister’s record.

Tuesday night’s fatal events, Portland police said, began when a woman called 9-1-1 at 8:26 p.m. to say she had witnessed a shooting inside a vacant home in the 9000 block of Northeast Glisan Street.

After questioning the woman, officers from East and Southeast precincts arrived at the house around 10 p.m., said Schmautz .

The house –a small, white single-story home with a ragged, overgrown front lawn –was dark; police later determined the electricity had been turned off. On the home’s front window –written in what appeared to be white shoe polish –were the words “R.I.P. Dozy Feb 01 08.” As officers arrived, Spoor came out of the house, and then ran back in and came out with a handgun.

At about the same time, Schmautz said, smoke began billowing from windows on the east side of the house. The officers instructed the man several times to drop the gun.

Ian Michaud, who lives across the street, said Spoor walked into the middle of Glisan Street with a gun in his hand.

“He seemed very nonchalant; he was turning around and around,” Michaud said.

Michaud heard at least two shots that sounded like they had been fired by the same gun, and then a series of shots. Schmautz said two officers shot at the man.

Spoor, who was later pronounced dead, collapsed on the north side of Glisan. Firefighters then extinguished the fire. Another man inside the house came out and was taken into custody. It’s unclear what part he played in the incident, Schmautz said.

“I’ve been to a lot of crime scenes and typically you can get a good idea pretty quickly in which direction to go, what information to release,” Schmautz said. “What we had here was an active fire, an officer-involved shooting and a homicide with witnesses who are still out there. It was very chaotic.”

Schmautz said 13 officers witnessed the officer-involved shooting. Each one had to be isolated from other officers before being interviewed, and each was assigned to a representative before questioning. “We did a round of marathon interviews overnight,” he said Wednesday.

At 10:30 p.m., shortly after the shooting, officers from the bureau’s Special Emergency Response Team in tactical gear were called to the home.

For at least an hour police used bullhorns, asking anyone inside to come out. When no one did, they fired at least two teargas canisters through the front windows. A short time later, they went inside, cleared the house and found a dead man. An autopsy is scheduled today, Schmautz said, though it appears he had been shot.


Phillip Michael Dona Hubbard, 20, and Jason Lee Spoor, 19, were pushing a food cart out of the Public Safety Building at 8:05 a.m. when they walked away from a treatment supervisor.

A Washington County deputy was on the third floor when the men walked away. No one chased the men.

The men had been voluntarily enrolled in Multnomah County’s InterChange program for drug and alcohol treatment. Residents typically stay for three to six months in the program, with the goal of reducing criminal behavior as well as treating addiction.

Multnomah County leases two floors from Washington County for the InterChange program at the old jail at 150 N.E. Lincoln St. in Hillsboro. The lease runs for five years.

A probation violation warrant will be issued for the arrest of both men, said Maggie Miller, Multnomah County Community Justice spokeswoman.

Because the men were not incarcerated in a correctional facility, they are not considered escapees, said Sgt. Marlene Gaskins, spokeswoman for the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

“It was two people who did not want to continue their treatment,” said Charlie Howlett, a management analyst in Washington County jail administration.

Hillsboro police were unclear on the specifics of the InterChange program and originally accused the men of first-degree escape, a felony.

Hubbard entered the program after he was accused of second-degree possession of a controlled substance related to a Jan. 20 incident. Spoor was accused of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle in connection with a Jan. 23 incident.

Hubbard, who has several previous drug-related arrests, is 5-foot-11 and 185 pounds. Spoor is 5-foot-4 and 115 pounds. Police expect that both men have returned to Multnomah County, said Hillsboro Cmdr. Lila Ashenbrenner.

Police searched for Hubbard and Spoor on Saturday and arrested Jimmy Carmona, 34, of Hillsboro and Jeffrey Neal Younamun, 35, of Aloha on suspicion of hindering prosecution in the case.

Multnomah County pays $220,000 a year, plus about $238,000 for utilities and other services, to house the program in the Washington County building. Multnomah County also paid $742,000 to remodel the jail into dormitories.

Miller said the program was tough for the patients but that it has been successful since it opened in November.

Jason Lee Spoor

A memorial service will be at 3 p.m. Friday, May 23, 2008, in Mt. Tabor Park for Jason Lee Spoor, who died May 13 of gunshot wounds at age 27.

Jason Lee Spoor was born Feb. 26, 1981, in Portland. He lived in the Portland area all his life.

Survivors include his daughter, Hailey; mother, Cindy Sonnenburg; brother, Justin; and grandparents, Kenny and Beverly Leinweber.