Five questions for Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley from the mental health community.
1. Olmstead v Georgia was decided by the US Supreme Court in 1999. There are dozens of examples where Oregon treatment providers – especially the State of Oregon fail Olmstead every day. How will Senator Merkley’s office intervene to make certain Oregon’s are not held in psychiatric prisons when they’re able to live in less restrictive communities?
2. Oregon soldiers are returning home from Iraq and Afghanistan with battle injuries which sutures and splints cannot heal. The number of military suicides are unacceptable. What will Senator Merkley do to make certain every American Veteran gets worthwhile help for mental and addiction health issues?
3. The war on illegal drugs failed; intervention on addiction pharmaceutical drugs has failed to do anything but frighten perscribers. What will Senator Merkley do to assure Oregonians the FDA will hold pharmaceutical companies responsible for the mis-management of their medications?
4. Oregon prisons and jails are filled with persons who committed their crime while drunk or loaded on drugs. Clean and sober they present no ongoing risk to the community. Many of these people should be in treatment for addiction and not filling up expensive jail cells. What is Senator Merkley doing to fully fund drug courts and addiction treatment for Oregonians?
5. The Department of Justice has two investigations active in Oregon, one for over three years at the Oregon State Hospital, and another of the Portland Police Bureau for almost a year. The DOJ is utterly obscure to the public about their work, and refused to speak to persons directly affected by their investigations. Justice delayed is justice denied. How will Senator Merkley cause the DOJ’s investigation to finish, release their investigations and raw collected data to the public?
Have your own question? Ask him yourself at the town halls listed below. Did he give you a good answer? Tell us at email@example.com
Upcoming town hall schedule for Senator Jeff Merkley.
Benton County Town Hall
Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 4:30pm
American Legion Hall – 605 Main Street, Monroe, OR, 97456
Linn County Town Hall
Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 11:30am
IBEW Central Electrical Training Center -33309 Hwy 99E, Tangent, OR, 97389
Lincoln County Town Hall
Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 5:00 pm
Toledo Fire Department – 285 NE Burgess Rd, Toledo, OR 97391
Tillamook County Town Hallhttps://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo
Thursday, January 12, 2012, 1:00 pm
Bay City Arts Center – 5680 A Street, Bay City, OR 97107
Clatsop County Town Hall
Thursday, January 12, 2012, 4:00 pm
Cannon Beach Community Hall – 207 N. Spruce St., Cannon Beach, OR 97110
Washington County Town Hall
Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 10:00 am
Tigard Public Library – 13125 SW Hall Blvd., Tigard, OR 97223
Clackamas County Town Hall
Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 1:00 pm
Hope Village – 1535 S. Ivy St., Canby, OR 97013
Columbia County Town Hall
Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 4:45 pm
Clatskanie Middle/High School
Norm Makela Commons – 471 NW Bel Air Drive, Clatskanie, OR 97016